You can learn to confidently and accurately sew a straight seam.
You Will Need
* Straight pins
* A measuring tape
* A sewing machine
* Masking tape
Align the fabric to be hemmed and pin it in place. Align any notches, dots, or other pattern markings when pinning the pieces together.
Placing pins perpendicular to the fabric edge about two inches apart will help to keep your fabric in place when sewing.
To determine seam allowance, measure the distance on the needle plate from the needle to the right of the presser foot. Mark the distance with a piece of masking tape on the needle plate.
Put the fabric under the presser foot and line up the edge with the masking tape seam guide.
Lower the presser foot and check that the fabric has not shifted.
Sew the fabric together, keeping the fabric lined up with the seam guide. Remove pins when they are two inches from the presser foot.
Fact: A sewing machine made for the German Royal Family around 1865 sold at auction for $41,000 in 1997.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades